Rock the SAT Math Test: About The SAT Math Test
This blog is, as the title states, about the SAT math test; we break down the whole SAT math test and show you what it’s composed of, what it tests, and how to ace to it. The first thing to realize is that the SAT math test has changed its focus to mainly test students on algebra and problem-solving using real-world scenarios. The majority of it covers Basic Algebra and Advance Algebra. Therefore, most of the concepts in these two divisions of math are fair game. And there are a lot of concepts. But, the good news is that you’ve already learned all or most of these concepts in school. The new SAT has really become aligned to your school curriculum. It basically covers most of Grade 11 Math and a tiny bit of Grade 12 Math. Here are the main sections on the SAT math test:
From this table, we can see that the additional topics only make up for 10.34% and the rest of the topics account for 89.66% of the total questions in the math section. This is very key for us to know, as it will guide our strategy for the math section (which we will discuss later).
About the SAT Math Test: Calculator and No-Calculator Portions
The math test will be Section 3 and Section 4 of the whole SAT and will consist of portions where you will be allowed to use a calculator and portions where you will NOT be allowed to use a calculator. Don’t let this scare you, as most of the questions will be solvable without calculators. The calculator will mainly be for questions which give you ugly numbers with decimal places or things like the quadratic formula. In general, though, the questions in the no-calculator portion will be solvable faster than the questions in the calculator portions.
About the SAT Math Test: Types of Questions
The majority of the questions in each section will be multiple-choice, accounting for 80% of all the questions. Each multiple-choice question will have four options to choose from, with only one correct or best answer. Remember, that there will be NO penalty for guessing wrong. So, make sure to answer each and every question.
The other type of question is the grid-in response question (20% of the total questions), which is basically a question without answer choices for you to choose from. For this type of question, you have to come up with the answer and write it in appropriately on the answer sheet. Again, NO penalty for getting wrong answers. One major thing to note for this is that you must write your answer in the grid-in boxes provided and also fill-in the appropriate bubbles underneath – otherwise, you won’t get the credit!!
Here is the Table of Contents for the book:
- About the SAT Math Test
- Most Commonly Tested Topics
- Methods and Strategies
- How to Get a 500+ Score
- How to Get a 600+ Score
- How to Get a 700+ Score
- How to Get a Perfect 800 Score
- Tests 1 – 6
- Full Solutions + Explanations
- Total Pages: 270